The 2020 NLA Abstract Committee invites the reopening submission of abstracts for poster presentation at the 2020 NLA Scientific Sessions in Chicago December 13 - 16, 2020.
This is your second opportunity to submit your science and present it in a premier, scientific environment among experts in clinical lipidology.
Submitted abstracts will be considered for the E-Poster hall during the abstract session at the meeting. All accepted abstracts will be published in an online supplement to the Scientific Sessions edition of the Journal of Clinical Lipidology.
All abstracts must be submitted online via the NLA abstract submission website using the online submission form. Please be sure to read all instructions, information, and policies closely.
Abstract Submission Second Window Open
Friday, June 26, 2020
Final Abstract Submission Deadline
Wednesday, September 2, 2020 11:59:59 p.m Eastern Time Abstract Submission is now Closed
Abstract Acceptance Notification
Early October 2020
Presenting Author Registration Deadline for Scientific Sessions
Friday, November 20, 2020
Select abstract submissions will be identified for poster presentation during the abstract session.
Abstract Submission Instructions
Please read through the submission instructions below before preparing your abstract:
- Read the General Information and Policies for the submission of an abstract.
- Write your abstract, following the Abstract Guidelines.
- Select a Topic that best relates to your abstract.
- Review the Acceptance and Presentation Process for abstracts.
- Submit your abstract through the Online Abstract Submission Form.
- Register to attend the 2020 NLA Scientific Sessions by Friday, November 20, 2020.
General Information and Policies
- You may complete your abstract submission over multiple sessions. As you will see, there will be a point in the process when you MUST finalize your abstract and make a FINAL submission. Please note that if you do not mark your abstract as complete and make a FINAL submission, it will NOT be considered. Take note of any deadlines under the appropriate call for abstracts and be sure to complete the process before that date.
- Do not CREATE your abstract in the submission system, but rather create your abstract in a separate Word document and COPY and PASTE it into the abstract submission system. This way, you will not have lost your abstract in the event of disconnection from the Internet, etc. Be sure to check for errors when pasting. Certain special characters may be changed by the browser.
- If you are currently a member of the NLA, we will prefill your address information for you in the online submission form based on your current lipid.org account information profile. Note that changes made here will apply to your abstract only and WILL NOT BE APPLIED to your NLA member record or lipid.org account.
- The lead author must register for the 2020 NLA Scientific Sessions to ensure his or her abstract(s) are included in the abstract publication and website. Deadline for author registration is November 20, 2020. Lead authors MUST BE registrants at the NLA Scientific Sessions.* Authors who are not members of the NLA must pay the non-member registration fee or can apply for membership here.
- To submit an abstract, all of the authors listed on the abstract must approve the final version. In addition, each author listed on the abstract should have made a substantial contribution to it, such as 1) contributing to the conception and design of the study and the acquisition of data; 2) analysis and interpretation of the data; and/or 3) drafting the poster and/or revising it critically for important intellectual content. Full disclosures must be provided for each author. These requirements are taken seriously by the NLA and any failure to fully comply with these requirements may result in an abstract being withdrawn from the NLA abstracts program.
- It is the responsibility of the lead author to ensure that his or her abstract is submitted correctly.
- Abstracts will be reviewed by the NLA Abstracts Review Committee.
- Faxed, emailed, or mailed hard-copy abstracts or abstracts sent on a CD/disc WILL NOT be accepted. If you are
unable to submit via the website, please contact the NLA staff:
The NLA will not be responsible for abstract submissions not received via the website or for submission errors caused by Internet service outages, hardware or software delays, power outages, or unforeseen events.
Abstracts for poster entries submitted can only be accepted electronically and must adhere to the following guidelines:
- Abstracts are limited to 400 words.
- Abstracts must be divided into sections: Title, Synopsis, Objectives/Purpose, Methods, Results, and Conclusion that states the importance and potential implications of the observations.
- Abstracts must be proofread carefully to avoid errors before submission.
- Abstracts must contain generic drug names only.
- Abstracts must be submitted in clear English with accurate grammar and spelling of a quality suitable for publication.
- Lead and secondary authors must disclose all financial relationships.
- Any funding support for the research must be disclosed.
- Encore research is eligible for submission but the original date and location of presentation of the research must be disclosed in the application.
The purpose of the abstract is to define the precise subject of the presentation to an audience. Below you will find a checklist for abstract preparation. All abstracts are considered equally for selection, and the quality of the abstract is the single most important factor in the Committee's decision.
You will be asked for the following:
- Background/Synopsis – A concise description of your subject matter and prior work in this area
- Objective/Purpose – The question your material answers or the hypothesis that it tests
- Methods – The experimental design or technique employed
- Results – Outcomes & measurements, with statistical significance, if appropriate
- Conclusion – Conclusions, clinical pertinence, and value or for Workshops and Presentations, the prevailing point of view
- Proofread – Make sure to proofread your abstract. Misspellings and typographical errors reflect poorly on your scientific work. Prepare to substitute plain text for special characters as these characters may not be rendered reliably (i.e., plus or minus for ±, alpha for a etc.)
- Authors – For each author you must provide first and last name, city and state as well as preliminary financial disclosure information. If you would like to be considered for oral presentation, the Primary Author should also upload a brief paragraph describing their qualifications in the chosen subject area and/or a CV.
- Supplemental Materials for Upload (Optional) – Figure/Tables/Images that support your work
Abstract Submission Topics
To ensure your abstract receives proper consideration, the abstract must relate to an appropriate topic in the field of clinical lipidology and cardiovascular disease prevention. Abstract authors will be required to indicate which topic BEST matches the content of their abstract. Topics for the 2020 NLA Scientific Sessions are:
- Clinical Applications of Biomarkers, Lipoprotein Testing
- Diabetes, Insulin Resistance and Dyslipidemia
- Enhancing Adherence, Compliance to Therapies
- Epidemiology of Cardiovascular Disease
- Genetics, Gene Therapy and Atherosclerosis
- HDL Modification, Novel HDL Raising Therapies
- Imaging in Atherosclerosis
- Lipid Management Best Practices (clinic operations, lipid team approaches, outcomes research)
- Lipid Management in Special Populations
- Management of Statin Intolerance
- Nutrition, Nutrigenomics, Nutraceuticals and Exercise Therapies
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Pathophysiology of Atherosclerosis
- Pharmacological Control of Lipids and Lipoproteins
- Visceral Obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and Atherosclerosis
Acceptance and Presentation Process
Abstract grading is blinded and abstracts are pre-screened and selected by NLA judges on the basis of quality and merit. You will be notified by early October if your poster is accepted. All lead poster authors are required to register for the Scientific Sessions in Chicago from December 13-16, 2020, to field questions from NLA meeting attendees.*
*Expenses related to airfare, lodging, and social events/guest fees are the responsibility of the presenter. If you cannot attend the Sessions as the lead author, you may designate someone to be the presenting author on your behalf.
You must be logged into the NLA Website in order to submit an abstract; however you are not currently logged into the site. Depending on the circumstances, you have one of three options:
This page was last updated: Sep 03, 2020