Take your first step towards long-term career enhancement
as a Lipid Scholarship Program participant.
National Lipid Association Lipid Scholarship Program
The 2024 Lipid Scholarship Program portal for applications will open November 20, 2023 and Close January 22, 2024.
To apply please read the following messages and follow the prompts at the bottom of the page. Please call 904-998-0854 if you have any further questions.
Overview What Does LSP Offer? What Does LSP Expect? Be a Facilitator!
What is the Lipid Scholarship Program?
The National Lipid Association (NLA) Lipid Scholarship Program is your gateway to enhanced clinical understanding and professional advancement.
This next-level learning program was created by our expert members to foster and support advanced training in clinical lipidology for first-year trainees seeking to improve their knowledge base.
Whether your medical education is focused on endocrinology, cardiology, preventive cardiology, family medicine, internal medicine or other areas of specialty medical practice, this self-paced educational program will provide you with the knowledge and understanding necessary to excel in your career.
15 trainees are selected per year as Lipid Scholarship Program recipients. Support is provided for a maximum of up to 3 years.
*Expansion: The program has expanded to 15 slots for 2024. This includes physicians and non-physicians.
Due to popular demand the Lipid Scholarship Program has expanded to 15 scholarship slots (up from 5 in 2023) for physicians and non-physician (Pharmacist/Nurse Practitioner/Dietitian, PhD or other healthcare professional with an interest in treating dyslipidemia) will be eligible to receive this scholarship!
Applications are accepted November through January 2024. Recipients are selected and notified in February of each year. The scholarship program commences in February of each year.
What does the Lipid Scholarship Program offer?
As a Lipid Scholarship recipient, you would receive:
- Access to the NLA’s self-paced, online education portal designed specifically for trainees
- Free registration and travel assistance to one NLA meeting per year (link: https://www.lipid.org/conferences) Value: $575
- The opportunity to demonstrate your enhanced clinical knowledge through the presentation of abstracts, posters and oral presentations at regional/national NLA-sponsored meetings (link: https://www.lipid.org/conferences)
- One-on-one mentoring and support via a dedicated NLA Facilitator.
- Free registration to one live Foundations of Lipidology Course (link: https://www.lipid.org/lipidacademy Value: $75 (trainees rate)
- Free registration to the Masters in Lipidology Course. Value: $395.
- Free access to the National Lipid Association Self-Assessment Program (link: https://www.lipid.org/education/nlasap) Value: $495
- A discount towards the American Board of Clinical Lipidology (ABCL) certification exam (link: https://www.lipidboard.org/), which demonstrates your commitment to continued professional development. Value: $300
What does the NLA expect from it's selected Lipid Scholarship Trainees?
- Provide a "Lipid Game Plan," an estimated projection towards board certification in Lipidology (normally within 2 years).
- Present and attend Lipid Scholarship Program Case Discussions.
- Involve your institutional mentor and be responsive to administration, program co-chairs, fellow recipients, and your assigned NLA Facilitator.
- Self-report any foundations, masters, and self-assessment course completion in the provided "LSP Portal".
- Provide any receipts for any qualifying reimbursement opportunities.
Becoming part of the global lipidology community.
Perhaps one of the most valued benefits of being a Lipid Scholarship Program recipient is complementary membership (for up to three years in the program) in the NLA (Value: Priceless).
Founded in 2002, the NLA has become a trusted clinical resource for both the medical community and patients, enhancing the understanding and practice of lipid management as a vital sub-specialty in clinical medicine.
Through its many high-quality educational and outreach programs, NLA has established a sound reputation as the voice of clinical lipidology, offering a variety of resources to help clinicians stay informed about the latest scientific developments needed for professional growth and superior patient care.
As a member of NLA, you’ll also have access to a diverse network of clinical experts and peers for collaboration, idea exchanges, and professional support.
The opportunities you’ll receive as a member of NLA throughout your career allows you to focus on what’s most important: providing an unparalleled level of care to your patients.
What does the NLA ask of Facilitators?
As a Facilitator you will have the opportunity to be instrumental in the growth of the National Lipid Association by providing timely guidance to the next generation of certified Lipidologists!
Below are a few key points of the Facilitator role:
- Upon the awarding of the scholarship you will be assigned an LSP recipient.
- You will be scheduled to meet via telephone or video conference with the LSP recipient for the initial introduction and then check-in every 6 months for the duration of his/her participation in the program.
*This can be as brief and detailed a check in as both yourself and the recipient want it to be, it's that easy!
- You will have access the LSP web portal to review the recipient’s accomplishments and to assure that he/she is on track for completing all program requirements.
- Correspond with LSP Chairs so that they can provide any assistance or direction . On the LSP portal you will find a link to documenting your encounter and communicate any concerns/needs
Interested in becoming an NLA Facilitator? Have additional questions?
Lipid Scholarship Program Manager
This page was last updated: Nov 20, 2023